Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Burning Question

          What makes a story amazing?

          When you talk to people about stories, books, or even movies, they'll oftentimes describe their favorite as "amazing". But what makes it amazing? This question, Dear reader has been bored into the side of my cerebrum for the last week. It pestered me and annoyed me and drove me to the brink of total insanity and grief until finally, like a ecclesiastical ray of light, it hit me in the gut.

             The villain. You absolutely, positively, have to have the best villain possible. The villain pulls the story forward and alarming rates, taunts the protagonist, and captures the reader's thoughts. Why did he do that? What will she do next? Can the hero stop this animal? Those questions are what push the tale forward and don't let the reader look away for a millisecond.

              So that's what I'll do. I'll make a villain that people will love to hate. I will birth a sick, twisted animal that conducts unspeakable acts of discord for the sake of being an evil monster. A villain that has no boundaries, and no limits. It sounds sick and twisted, but it must be done.

             And, with the antagonist in place, the ultimate protagonist will come to fruition.

              So there you go. Great villain=great story=great protagonist. Now let's begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment